Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna
The top layer of lasagna noodle is toasty and crisp with mozzarella cheese as the warm ricotta cheese filled with mushrooms and spinach oozes out on to the plate, all the while you smile with pride that you made this delicious home cooked family meal.
Its all about the layers!
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 (15-ounce) package whole milk ricotta
- 3 bags of baby spinach (cooked in 1 tbsp butter; drained)
- or 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, dived
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in basil, oregano and nutmeg until fragrant, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste; set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- Spread 1 cup mushroom sauce onto the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish; top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1/2 of the ricotta cheese, 1/2 of the spinach, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Repeat with a second layer. Top with remaining noodles, mushroom sauce and cheeses.*
- Place into oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until bubbling. Then broil for 2-3 minutes, or until top is browned in spots.
- Let cool 15 minutes. Serve, garnished with parsley, if desired.
~Recipe from Damndelicious.net!
*MAKE-AHEAD: Cover lasagna tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 24 hours. To bake, remove plastic wrap, cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
*TO FREEZE: Cover lasagna tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Freeze up to 3 months. To bake, remove plastic wrap, cover and bake for 90 minutes. Uncover; bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until completely cooked through.