I prefer this recipe to any other jambalaya recipe out there. Its so much better when you use quinoa! But you don't have to use quinoa if you don't want to, you can substitute it with a short-cut pasta like orzo, baby shells, ditali, etc... And it only takes 15 minutes to make. Try it and this will become one of your favs, too!
You can make your life easier by buying pre-cut veggies at your grocery store. I love that they have this available now, its like having your own personal sous chef!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced into coins
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- **1/2 cup carrots; sliced (optional)
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- flour; enough to make a roux, so anywhere from 1 tbsp to 1/4 cup
- chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
- Boil water and cook quinoa or pasta according to package directions
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat; then brown the sausage
- Add in the celery, onion and pepper and continue to cook until vegetables have soften; 3-5 minutes
- Add garlic and oregano and stir; add in enough flour to make a roux. *if it looks too dry simply add a bit more olive oil to the pan
- Turn the heat up so the roux browns but watch it the whole time!!! As soon as it browns add in the quinoa.
- Toss it well and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
~inspired by Bittman's Kitchen Express