Tomato & Red Onion Tarts
I’m standing by the frozen section at my local Trader Joe’s one day. I had there puff pastry sheets in my hand and I was mulling it over whether to buy it or not. The woman next to me Saul me looking at the pastry sheets and said, “you HAVE to buy those!” I believe my face expressed interest but slight doubt. So the woman next to me continued, “seriously, I buy these every single year. I buy six or seven of these. They are so easy and so delicious you have to get them!”
Easy and delicious?!! I’m a middle child and I often feel the need to be the center of attention anywhere outside of my house so I naturally yelled out, “SOLD!” I then thanked my new acquaintance for her recommendation. And these tasty treats are the result from our quick little conversation. Whoever she was she was spot on - these are simple AND really, really good!
Herbed butter is where it’s at!! If you’re lazy like me, these are a god send!
Salt your tomatoes with generous pinches of kosher salt.
- Puff Pastry sheet, I used Trader Joe’s
- 4 Large Beefstock tomatoes; sliced and salted.
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 large bunch of arugula
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Roasted & Herbed butter spread, 2 tbsp.
- Kosher salt. And pepper.
- 1 egg
Egg wash : 1 egg and 1 tbsp water whisked together.
- Make sure you defrost the path pastry sheets according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Sliced red onion. Scoop butter into a pan over medium heat. Add red onion and cook until soft. Stirring often. About ten minutes.
- Slice tomatoes then generously sprinkle kosher salt all over them.
- In a small bowl drizzle one –2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil all over the arugula. Next until oil is evenly distributed. Option sprinkle a pinch of salt over arugula.
- Brush egg wash all over pastry sheets. Cut pastry sheets in 4X4 inch squares. Place 1 inch apart on a baking sheet.
- Time to layer: pastry sheet, tomato slice, arugula and top that tart off with you are sautéed red onions.
- Bake according to pastry sheets instructions. Mine was 10-12 minutes. Enjoy!