Summer Tomato & Cucumber Dill Soup
When it's a hot summer day and I'm sweating my face off my appetite isn't as ravenous as it is in the cold winter months. But I'm still hungry. My go-to is gazpacho soup (I have a couple delicious recipes in earlier posts.) But sometimes my palette gets bored and I need something else...so here is another yummy cold, summer soup you can make easily and enjoy!
A few tips when making this soup: salt the tomatoes GENEROUSLY. I'm not a huge salt person. My brother and sisters are salt freaks! I'm a sugar girl. I love me some sugar. It's a problem. But the first step in recovery is to admit you have a problem, right?!!
And if you don't want to risk over-salting the soup, you can easily salt individual portions and the flavor will still pop for you:)
Another tip: when skinning tomatoes - bring a pot of water to a boil, cut a small "x" on the bottom of each tomato and drop them into the boiling water for about 30 seconds. Remove, drain and the skin of the tomatoes will peel right off-no prob!
Summer Tomato & Cucumber Soup
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 tbs. heavy whipping cream
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes, skinned* and chopped
- 10 fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- Salt and pepper
- micro greens to garnish *optional