Caprese Lasagna Roll Ups
I LOVE lasagna! Like, I really love lasagna. Did I mention that I love lasagna?
Oh but I should also mention that I am lazy and don't like working too hard. Especially with small children constantly running around me.
So when I started making lasagna roll up's I found a very happy medium because they are much easier to make and easier to serve. Yup, thats right, easier to make, eat, and clean up!
Even though I made this "not traditional" lasagna recipe, you can switch out the tomatoes for ground meat or whatever kind of filling you desire. The point is that roll up lasagna tastes just as good as a regular lasagna dish. I hope you try it out and love it just as much as I did!
- 8 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 14 oz shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup, finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Ground black pepper
- 3 - 4 medium Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup marinara sauce (make your own or choose your favorite brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to directions listed on package to al dente. Drain pasta. Next line up the lasagna noodles in a single layer on a cutting board, large sheet of parchment, or wax paper.
- For the cheese mixture. Whisk the ricotta cheese and egg white in a large mixing bowl. Then stir in the parmesan cheese and almost all of the mozzarella cheese (about 12 oz) and add black pepper to taste.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly over each lasagna noodle. Next place about 4 tomato slices over cheese mixture then sprinkle fresh basil on top.
- Roll lasagna noodles up from one end to the other. Spread about 1/4 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of an 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Place the lasagna roll ups into the dish seam side down. Cover each roll up with about 2 Tbsp of marinara sauce making sure that you get the edges covered because they can dry out in the oven. Sprinkle top with remaining 2 oz. shredded Mozzarella. Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, plate the pasta, garnish with parmesan cheese and basil. Enjoy
~thank you cooking classy.com!