Black Bean & Corn Quinoa
Meal prep meal prep meal prep. It’s like a mantra. Or it’s like annoying advice you see and hear all the time. The problem is meal prep will help you reach your health goals. Most of the time it’s the last thing I feel like doing but lunch is my achilles heel. I never know what to eat at lunch and I’ll usually end up either snacking all afternoon or making a bad food decision.
Black bean and corn quinoa is a fairly easy recipe to make on a Sunday and eat throughout the week for lunch. It’s tasty and it keeps. And when you prep you are less likely to cheat on your wellness goals. So go ahead and try it, love it and add it to your recipe repertoire!
- 1 can black beans; drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup celery; chopped
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet roasted red pepper; chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- salt and pepper
- cilantro for garnish
- In a large deep skillet heat canola oil over medium high heat. Add onions, celery and red peppers. Add chili powder, cayenne pepper and then salt and pepper to your liking. (I used a few pinches of both.) Sauté for about 5-6 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Cook corn according to package directions. Then add corn and stock to the skillet. Bring everything to a boil and add quinoa. Bring to boil again then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and heat through. Garnish with cilantro.